ABC HoofPrint Trim

The easiest and most proficient trimming method available.
Presented by Cheryl Henderson

beginning body shot

 

 

This is Hadi a lovely arabian that had foundered 8 years earlier.

Her owner was unable to find anyone knowledgable in the early period after the founder and her capsules tore apart and filled with disease.

Complicated in this recovery by a severe cut in the tendon which  knotted up above the fetlock knuckling her capsule over on the front.

During all this pain and suffering she never lost her drive to survive.

You can see in the pictures of her coming to my rehab center 9/28/10 and how she looked just 5 weeks later in the 11/02/10 picture at the top.

This improvement was not from the food but more from stopping the infection within her capsules.

The top picture shows how to protect the hide by using tubigripand adding additional  protection for the hocks with soccar pads.  Healing and prevent bedsores is part of the ongoing daily task for these horses that will lay much of the day during the hoof care.

radiograph

When Hadi arrived I had radiographs taken but first I had mapped her capsule with the HoofPrint Trim gauges.  Doing this allows me to make sure as I remove the excess and deformed capsule that I am respecting the angle of the coffin joint to not be pushed into a subluxation. 

I used a marker that would appear on the radiograph.  You can see this sort of like a chalk mark under the coffin bone.  This helped me to see how much I could removed.

The dark tracks you see going into the capsule are disease tracks rot and infection are behind the capsule wall and the tracks show how deep the disesae had eaten inside..

beginning for LF

Major changes in the hoof came after  removing all the diseased areas and now able to treat the disease beneath the capsule wall. 

Treatments to stop bacteria and fungus were done every few days with White Lightning.

She was booted in both Soft Ride boots and Deluxe Hoof Boots with diapers one her feet to absorb sweat and leakage from the rotting matter inside. 

A significant change in one day was removing the long toe that was forcing the pastern to tilt forward.  Once the excess capsule was trimmed  her pastern moved back into a comfortable angle as seen in this collage.

Using a trimming technique called "rim notching" allowed the tubules in the quarters to regrow in the correct angle.

There is bone loss in the coffin bone so her capsule shape will be smaller with a steeper dorsal angle. 

The goal is to keep the hairline as close to a natural 30 degree as possible.  This will allow the lateral cartilage to be positioned correctly.

I thought I had rid her hoof of the rot and infection that was throughout the capsule.  But I saw a tiny crack which when I investigated it by popping the lip of wall off. 

Pus began to flow out of the crack. I used masti-clear in the crack for 3 days.  Protecting her feet wrapped in a diaper and boot. 

Within a few days she was much more comfortable and was weighting the hoof.

starting

 

This collage is the first day and you can see the entire  capsule and  sole were solid disease.

Disease had eaten through the capsule and under the sole, frog and around the laminar wedge.  Rot and infection had consummed   the sensitive tissues.

Look at the frog at the beginning stage before I started.  You can see a frog.  Then after scraping off the surface layer there are no recognizable landmarks.

The collateral groove was completely gone and full of matter that was both solid and unrecognizable.

The frog area had small lumps.  I had to assume under all this mass was a triangular shaped digital cushion.

The second photo on the right is a front view and I have ground off the capsule and laminar wedge from the hairline vertically down.  You can see how the disease is solidly wrapped under the remaining capsule wall.  I knew I would have to remove all the rot and follow the disease tracks.

I use the disease tracks to help me know how deep I have to trim material way attempting to get to healthy tissue.  And if I can't reach it all the disease treatments clean out the disease so that I can trim more later.

Using the HoofPrint gauges help me to make sense out of the capsule and sole.  My knowledge of the internal structures provided me clear understand how to proceed without creating more problems for the hoof.  But, allowing me to help the hoof.

Developing a sole that was recognizable came after two months.  There was so much wrong that the new tissues were not the horn that you would see with horses that have lost their soles and capsules.  This was a much more complicated evolution of repair. 

The sole was far from repaired but the work continued for several more months until she could return with her mother and sister.

The collateral grooves at this point were not opened up.  The bars  were still deeply jammed up inside the hoof.

It took months to finally see some definition in the bar region.